About the Nameclouds Baby Name Generator
About - empty section
When we first became parents, we realized just how hard it is to choose a name for a child. It felt like a lot of pressure to choose a name we both loved and that would serve our child well for years to come. We researched hundreds of names on the web, but soon realized that it was not enough to know the historical origin of a name or how popular it is. We needed to understand what the name means to people now.
This is how the idea for Nameclouds was born.
We had a solid knowledge of naming trends, matured in years of scientific research on cultural change, so we set about developing a novel naming tool for expecting parents. We wanted to make it fun, like a game parents could tinker with in the months they are expecting. It needed to be smart, in that it could predict names each parent would like. And it had to be informative about how a name is trending, where, and with whom.
We built Nameclouds with love, lots of data science, and a dash of social psychology, to bring you a uniquely personal naming experience. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
What is Nameclouds? - empty section
What is Nameclouds?
Nameclouds is a fun little tool that uses Name Prediction Technology™ to find you the perfect baby name.
Name Prediction - empty section
What is Name Prediction Technology™?
Name Prediction Technology™ is our exclusive algorithm that pools data from the US Census and Social Security Administration to discover what meaning names evoke and to predict what names you will like.
For example, you might like the name Oliver. Nameclouds shows you that Oliver is trendy but also classic, is popular on the coasts, is politically liberal and highly educated. It suggests names you might like, such as Everett, Lawrence, and Franklin, and lets you tinker with these characteristics to discover more names.
What makes NC Different - empty section
How is Nameclouds different from other baby naming apps?
- Nameclouds uses our exclusive Name Prediction Technology™ to suggest names based on your preferences, that you are sure to love
- We use all available data to offer a rich portrait of the names you are considering and to suggest names that evoke similar feelings
- Nameclouds is adorable and fun to play with
- It makes for a stylish and green gift!
How do I use Nameclouds? - empty section
How do I use Nameclouds?
- Enter a name in the search box. A namecloud will pop up that shows names that are demographically similar to the one you entered. Click on any name to start a new name cloud.
- Adjust the sliders to show names with different characteristics: popularity, trendiness, celebrity, perceived education level, and so on.
- On the top left, you will see the name’s origin, similar-sounding names, and celebrities with that name.
- Click on any similar-sounding name to start a new namecloud.
- To see popularity based on geography, roll you mouse over the map. To find a name’s popularity on a county level, click on a state to zoom in.
- A timeline of the name’s popularity will appear in a graph under the map. Click on a past year and the map adjusts to show popularity for that year.
You can also click on the Tour button in the app or look at our News page for more details.
What’s the free trial? - empty section
What do I get - empty section
What do I get in my paid subscription?
You get unlimited access to the full capabilities of Name Prediction Technology™, including unlimited name searches, freedom to play with all demographic scales, visualization of name trends over time and by location (to the state and county level), name info, and your favorites list.
Can partner share - empty section
How many users can access my name cloud?
All subscriptions to Nameclouds come with two user accounts.